My frustrations....

Life at work has been very hectic lately n it has disrupted my booze to pump which effects my milk supply...but alhamdulillah i still managed to get 12 oz of EBM throughout the day for harris 's intake..however after much concern that my son mite not be getting enough milk..and as discussed with his paed..we decide to introduce a bottle of formula milk a day..which actually breaks my heart..(im sure exclusive bfeeding mothers know the feeling... im not saying that formula milk is not good enough)..as i was a result of formula milk n yes i managed to go to Uni n
all..but after much research, readings n discussion the iconic phrase we could conclude is the best gift that a mother can give her child is by breastfeeding them as it is complete for their physical and mental development....in actual fact in the Quran says...bfeed our child for atleast 2 years..but being a working mother in a not sooo encouriging environment i find it hard...ive pumped in the toilet..(yup its yucky but i always think positive that god knows of my intention)..ive heard sneers..had the look from others wen i carry a cool box on course..hav people talked about me...arghh...the perception that people give wen ur just trying do wats best. .ive embraced them all...there were numerous times that i cry alone because nobody would understand..i do vent my frustration to my better half but there comes a point that he's a guy..his level of understanding on this matter is not in depths..n soo the thoughts r better placed in my head.....i guess these r the challenges that god wants me to face..in hope that one day it will all be worth it... ...

I never knew that i could manage exclusive breastfeeding for a year at least..before having harris i always thought.. id bfeed harris for atleast the first six months..had i known.... i wud have prepared myself earlier..n i.. like many stumbled upon experiences n gathered our knowledge thru books n dr. google..i thank n owe it to harris previous babysitter..makcik normah for encouraging me..without her i don't think i could ever have done it...

The guilt feeling of having to supplement hits beyond my deepest core..even if its just a bottle a day..call me paranoid..vain or watever..but it is a feeling that is hard to describe..i remember watching wardina being interviewed the other day on a baby show hosted by Daphne Iking n i quote "if u knew the benefits that bfeeding gives to ur child..u wud never want to touch formula...."..n though i dare not tell others in that way..but there is truth to what she claims...

My youngest brother was a product of exclusive bfeeding until 2 years..n for those who know him can straightly highlight the differences between him from me n imran..we're different in terms of empathy, stubbornness..n mb intelligence...mmg a lot of people wud say "sejuk perut mak mengandungkan idris" he has never created major drama nor hav i seen my mom been worried over him unlike me the drama queen or my 1st brother...

I really feel that the govt should really encourage breastfeeding n make it an act or something n that breastfeeding circle is cared for..we don't need to be treated as queens but sufficient enough that proper arrangements can be made in the office like having a breastfeeding room n most importantly understand that we need to pump frequently to ensure our milk supply sustains..after all it will benefit the employer by having their staff at bay n not always on MC or EL mode...to date alhamdulillah i only had to take one EL due to harris diarrhea n we referred him to SJMC..but other than that his fever n all cud be treated n not come to state of worrying....

Im just trying to give my son the best..like all of the mothers out there. n .maybe if u feel formula is the best option n it works for your child..it doesn't matter...but wen i face challenges from the outer circle it crushes me..because i will not do anything that will not be beneficial towards him...i know one fine day i will have to completely wean him..n i will dread that day..the bond that we share is what I'll carry with me as i know that from that day..comes the partial separation of a mother with her child..he will not need me as much..ill miss his cheeks againts my skin..his little hand playing with my shirt...ill miss that n for what its worth to harris... mama's sorry..i tried ever so hard to give u more..but i have to work n my working environment is not that encouraging..

And as i read n read about the fact that my baby mite not be getting adequate milk..i came across this ...most of the article i read states that by 18 months a child needs to be wean off from the bottle n be given milk from a cup...formula should be replaced by whole milk to ensure a balance diet n while most parents opt giving their child milk to replace his meal intakes because the child refuses to drink..it actually does more harm to toddlers/infants as it can lead to iron deficiency...

taken from http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/feed12yr.html

Iron Intake

It's important to watch out for iron deficiency after kids reaches 1 year of age. It can affect their physical, mental, and behavioral development, and also can lead to anemia.

To help prevent iron deficiency:

  • Limit your child's milk intake to 16 to 24 full ounces (480-720 milliliters) a day.
  • Increase iron-rich foods in your child's diet, like iron-fortified snacks, meat, poultry, fish, beans, and tofu.
  • Continue serving iron-fortified cereal until your child is 18 to 24 months old.
So watch out coz u don't feed on demand milk after the age of one n milk is to supplement his growth..but not to be treated as primary food...

Im sure u guys have 101 percetion..assumtions..comments on this issue specially those with children..so before i ur M16 hits me..just take note that this is what i gathered from my reading..observation..discussion with paed n lactation consultants..i don't simply pluck these ideas from the sky...

0 comments: